Monday, March 12, 2018

Old pictures and new teeth.

Hi-de-ho, dear readers! It’s 7 o’clock Monday morning and I’m taking pills, reading email and killing time until Elite Mobile Dental shows up with a wax mold of my new lower denture. They’re supposed to be here at 8:30, and I’m thoroughly goddamn excited about this because I’ve had seriously insufficient lower teeth for decades … and no lower teeth at all for the last six weeks! Stay tuned for additional developments but please feel free to resume your normal routine in the meantime. (Thank you.)

A SPEEDY DENTAL UPDATE. The crew from Elite Mobile Dental just left, and I’m pleased to report that the wax mold of my lower denture was a perfect fit. They’ll be back next week with another temporary denture … this time WITH ACTUAL TEETH IN IT. Woo-hoo!

In yesterday’s Howdygram post I promised to share a couple of the old photos that my sister brought from Chicago last weekend. Here are two!
In case you’re interested, the picture of mom and dad, who were still newlyweds at the time, was taken in April 1943 near the Air Force training school where dad got his “wings” and also learned to be a navigator. He was stationed in Monroe before being shipped overseas. FYI, on a road trip in 2012 — en route to the Civil War battlefield in Vicksburg, Mississippi — Sam and I visited the Air Force training school in Monroe. It’s a museum now with photos of every graduating class from World War II. It was amazing!

The other is a picture of Robin and me in 1961, a pair of neatly-dressed little girls hanging out on a neighbor’s front doorstep. Just a wild guess, but to me it looks like we were waiting to go on an outing with the Browns, maybe a picnic or a trip to the zoo, because: 1) dad didn’t usually have a camera handy unless we were getting ready to go somewhere; and 2) we looked extremely clean.



It’s 10:10 a.m. and Sam is on his way to Costco. Today’s list is unusually teeny because Sam is on a diet and hasn’t been eating any of his Costco favorites, such as breakfast burritos, teeny tacos, chicken flautas, frozen egg rolls, tubs of cashews and corkscrew pasta salad with salami in it. Today instead he’s buying peeled hard-boiled eggs, guacamole cups, fresh salsa and graham crackers. Our only real “splurge” is a box of frozen orange chicken. (It’s good stuff.) I requested tamales but I have no idea whether or not Sam will buy them.



I just found out that Adobe is increasing the price of its Creative Cloud membership in April … as if it already wasn’t expensive enough to “rent” their software. Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator are amazing programs and I know I couldn’t function without them, but charging $49 a month ($600 a year) to rent them is outrageous when you realize I used to buy Creative Suite software for $900 total. (If you do the math, it would pay for itself after 18½ months.) Anyway … the price will go up $2.99 a month starting April 20. I wish they had a senior citizen discount. (Stop laughing. I asked.)



Thank you for reading this. And now I think you everybody should find a way to celebrate International Napping Day!

No comments: