Monday, March 19, 2018

I can’t tolerate sodium-free.

It’s a few minutes after 4 p.m. on Monday, March 19, and I’m still at Baylor Hospital in Sunnyvale. Sam was here for a few hours (he just left) so I decided this would be a fine time to work on another Howdygram post even though he thinks I’m taking a nap.

As of this writing I’ve got a variety of news tidbits to report ...

THE HEART SONOGRAM. I had a heart sonogram this morning, and the technician told me she didn’t see or hear any evidence of atrial fibrillation,the erratic heartbeat condition diagnosed by my cardiologist (Dr. Singh) a few years ago. Plus I take two prescription medications for this … Coumadin and Metoprolol. Apparently atrial fibrillation doesn’t have to be a permanent condition, which I didn’t know until I read about it a few minutes ago on the Mayo Clinic’s website. When I see the hospital’s cardiologist tomorrow I’ll ask him to tell me what he thinks. If I can get rid of two prescription medications I’d be THRILLED!

A DECENT LUNCH. I had chicken pot pie, cooked carrots and applesauce. I know you’re probably gagging, but it was pretty damn swell for hospital food! Incidentally, the only thing that elevated this meal — sodium-free is required here for all heart patients — was the salt shaker that Sam brought from home yesterday. I understand reduced sodium; I can’t tolerate sodium-free.

I HAVENT SLEPT SINCE I GOT HERE. Blame it on the constant interruptions! I’m in Baylor’s Cardiac Step-Up Unit,, which is one level below Cardiac Intensive Care. When I’m not being pestered by respiratory technicians, physical therapists, chaplains and a patient representative with a long list of questions about my home life, I’ve got the usual hoo-hahs drawing blood, replacing I.V.s, emptying my catheter bag, testing my blood sugar, injecting insulin, delivering pills and so on. I don’t get more than an hour of quiet time. WHY CAN’T THESE PEOPLE LEAVE ME ALONE?

DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS PARAGRAPH. I just found out that I’m supposed to move to the second floor tonight … I’ve been “downgraded” from the Cardiac Step-Up Unit because I’m improving and they need my bed. This is good news because I won’t be pestered quite so often on the second floor. Unfortunately, there are lots of new admissions in the Emergency Room today and they get first pick of the extra beds. (Bottom line … I might wind up staying exactly where I am.)



I didn’t include any Yiddish vocabulary words in my last Howdygram post so I think I’d better make up for lost time.

Our first word today is farblondzhit, which means confused. Farkakt means screwed up. (Avoid saying this one in front of your bubbe.) Farklemt means all choked up, literally or figuratively. Fargenign means delight. And finally, farkrumte means crooked or twisted.

Thank you for reading this and please keep your fingers crossed that I’ll get out of here tomorrow!

No comments: