Monday, January 22, 2018

Panda Express has really decent Chinese food to go.

I’m finally clawing my way back to life today after struggling through some harrowing events. I’ll describe them for you in the following subtitled paragraphs.

THE FEVER EXPLOSION. I woke Sam from a sound sleep during the wee hours of Martin Luther King Day, shivering so hard my jaw was starting to hurt. My temperature climbed steadily for the next several hours until Sam made the decision to call 911 … mostly because I’d become unresponsive and incoherent, which scared the living crap out of him.

THE AMBULANCE RIDE. The paramedics squished me onto a narrow stretcher and hauled me to Baylor’s new medical center in Sunnyvale. My fever was 101.2°, my blood pressure was 78/40, and because I arrived during a flu outbreak it took 10 hours to assign me to a bed. The following map denotes: A) Howdygram headquarters; B) Baylor Sunnyvale; and C) Panda Express in Mesquite. (I love their Hot Pepper Chicken and Beijing Beef.)
THE DIAGNOSIS. It’s called cellulitis … a serious bacterial infection under the skin. In my case it was my lower right leg. Rather than copy and paste a pile of scholarly prose from the Mayo Clinic’s website, you can read more here if you’re interested. Doctors pumped me full of high-powered antibiotics for four days and then sent me home with prescriptions for two more. I was discharged on January 18, just in time for …

A FROLICKING CASE OF BRONCHITIS. I started to feel like shit earlier in the day while we waited for a medi-van transport service to take me home from the hospital . Later that night I had the chills, my fever jumped to 99.8° and I was coughing up a lung, marking the first time I had a cold or cough in at least 10 years. I was miserable. Even though my fever finally broke last night I’m awfully glad I’ve got an appointment with my Baylor HouseCalls medical team tomorrow morning.



This will be a busy week at Howdygram headquarters, as evidenced below.

A VISIT FROM THE BAYLOR HOUSECALLS TEAM. Tomorrow, early, probably before 10 a.m.

A DELIVERY FROM MACY’S. Sam ordered a new one while I was in the hospital. I’m so excited I can’t stand it! This one is pearl color leather instead of chocolate brown because that’s the only color they had left in stock. (The chair has been discontinued. When the reality of this sinks in I’m going to be very hysterical.)
A VISIT FROM A MOBILE VISION OPTOMETRIST. Friday … exact time to be determined. They’re supposed to call one day in advance to let me know.



I apologize if this post is shorter than usual and not as much fun. I’m still under the weather, feeling limp and not especially enthusiastic. Frankly, I could use a nice nap and some Jell-O, not necessarily in that order.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments: