Monday, March 9, 2015

I love Queen Elizabeth.

Those of you who read the Howdygram regularly know that I love the British royal family. But while each of them is an immaculate, well-dressed rich person in his or her own unique way, my favorite royal by far is THE QUEEN. Here, from the pages of Vogue, is a one-year journey through the color spectrum in Her Majesty’s wardrobe ... and it’s just about the cutest fucking thing I’ve ever seen. I LOVE THIS WOMAN. I love her coats, I love her hats, I love her lumpy little legs, her corrective shoes and her little black handbag. She always looks happy, colorful and comfortable. And she must have the biggest goddamn closet on the face of the earth.


In case you’re wondering what’s going on here today, I’d like to share the following brief list of noteworthy events:
  1. It’s raining.
  2. I made an appointment for a routine Coumadin blood test tomorrow morning at 9:15. Sam will take me because I’m a handicapped senior citizen with shitty knees and I don’t drive any more. Also because he looks so damn adorable behind the wheel of our Hyundai.
  3. I cooked up a big pot of low-carb pasta rice this morning and plan to eat a bunch of it for dinner. A full-color portrait appears below.
  4. My new cranberry red Ralph Lauren bath towels from Macy’s are being delivered this afternoon and I’m so excited I think my spleen might explode.
  5. I felt woozy, wobbly, weird and wotten for most of the afternoon, so instead of moseying into the family room to eat dinner (per item 3 above) I shlepped myself to bed and SLEPT FOR ALMOST THREE HOURS. I feel considerably better now and not wotten at all. A juicy nap heals EVERYTHING. Yay, wight?


Just when you thought the right-wing in Congress couldn’t sink much lower ... meet freshman Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas, the Tea Party asshole who decided to go rogue by spearheading an open letter to the leaders of Iran — signed by 47 Republican senators — warning them that President Obama is barely a “president” and any nuclear deal they sign with the Obama administration won’t last after he leaves office. I SHIT YOU NOT, PEOPLE.
Cotton wrote: “It has come to our attention while observing your nuclear negotiations with our government that you may not fully understand our constitutional system. Anything not approved by Congress is a mere executive agreement. The next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time.”

Basically, Senator Cotton and his fellow Republicans think it’s important for Iran to know they’re going to be in office a lot longer than President Obama, so don’t go making any deals with that foreign-born usurper in the White House because once they repeal him and get a real president in there they can just bomb the crap out of Iran any time they want and revoke any “deals” Iran might make with the current “president.”

Holy mother of crap.

Whatever our response as a country is to this shameful attempt to undermine the President’s negotiations with Iran, I think we can all agree that foreign minister Javad Zarif’s response is absolutely terrific.

“In our view, this letter has no legal value and is mostly a propaganda ploy,” Zarif said in a statement. “It is very interesting that while negotiations are still in progress and while no agreement has been reached, some political pressure groups are so afraid even of the prospect of an agreement that they resort to unconventional methods, unprecedented in diplomatic history.”

Zarif was clearly flabbergasted that some members of the U.S. Congress think it’s appropriate to write to leaders of another country against their own President and administration. He pointed out that from reading the open letter, it is obvious that the authors not only don’t understand international law, but are not fully cognizant of the nuances of their own Constitution when it comes to presidential powers in the conduct of foreign policy. He also slammed the Republicans for not knowing that in international law, a government — i.e., the executive branch, NOT CONGRESS — represents the entirety of its respective states, is responsible for the conduct of foreign affairs, is required to fulfill the obligations it undertakes with other countries and may not invoke their internal law as justification for failure to perform international obligations.

The Iranian Foreign Minister added that “a change of administration does not in any way relieve the next administration from international obligations undertaken by its predecessor in a possible agreement about Iran’s peaceful nuclear program. I wish to enlighten the authors that if the next administration revokes any agreement with the stroke of a pen, as they boast, it will have simply committed a blatant violation of international law.”



I’m through with the Internet for today. I might even throw up a little.

No comments: