Thursday, August 14, 2014

Do not get me started on that disgusting police state shit in Ferguson, Missouri.

To avoid any contact whatsoever with current events because the world is so fucked up I think I’m having a nervous breakdown — do NOT get me started on that disgusting police state shit in Ferguson, Missouri — I figure this is probably an ideal time to distract myself by recommending the upcoming week’s best movies on TCM’s August SUMMER UNDER THE STARS hoo-hah.

AUGUST 15: FAYE DUNAWAY. I’m not really a huge Faye Dunaway fan (are you?) but there are two movies you shouldn’t miss: Bonnie and Clyde (1967) with Warren Beatty; and Chinatown (1974) with Jack Nicholson and John Huston. Thank you.

AUGUST 16: HERBERT MARSHALL. I don’t think Herbert Marshall ever made a movie I didn’t like! Here are my favorite picks: Riptide (1934) with Norma Shearer and Robert Montgomery; Trouble in Paradise (1932) with Kay Francis and Miriam Hopkins; The Moon and Sixpence (1942) with George Sanders; The Little Foxes (1941) with Bette Davis; Foreign Correspondent (1940) with Joel McCrea and Laraine Day; Murder! (1930) with Norah Baring; and two versions of the same film, The Letter (1929) with Jeanne Eagels and The Letter (1940) with Bette Davis. And they’re BOTH terrific!
AUGUST 17: JOHN HODIAK. My personal favorites are: A Stranger in Town (1943) with Frank Morgan; Battleground (1949) with Van Johnson; Two Smart People (1946) with Lucille Ball; Lifeboat (1944) with Tallulah Bankhead; and The Harvey Girls (1946) with Judy Garland.
AUGUST 18: CLAUDETTE COLBERT. Don’t miss: Boom Town (1940) with Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable; It Happened One Night (1934) with Clark Gable; and The Smiling Lieutenant (1931), a pre-Code musical gem with Maurice Chevalier and Miriam Hopkins.

AUGUST 19: PAUL NEWMAN. The Prize (1963) with Edward G. Robinson and Elke Sommer; Cool Hand Luke (1967); Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) with Robert Redford; and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) with Elizabeth Taylor.
AUGUST 20: THELMA RITTER. I love Thelma Ritter! My favorites today are: Titanic (1953) with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb; Daddy Long Legs (1955) with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron; With a Song in My Heart (1952) with Susan Hayward; The Mating Season (1951) with Gene Tierney and John Lund; and Pillow Talk (1959) with Doris Day and Rock Hudson.
AUGUST 21: LEE TRACY. Fixer Dugan (1939) with Virginia Weidler; Crashing Hollywood (1938) with Joan Woodbury; Blessed Event (1932) with Dick Powell; Bombshell (1933) with Jean Harlow; and Dinner at Eight (1933) with an all-star cast including Marie Dressler, John and Lionel Barrymore, Billie Burke and Jean Harlow.
I think it might be an excellent plan to go back to bed for a while because my work here is done. Thank you for reading this.

No comments: